This dish hardly even needs an introduction—the title says it all. Vegan cauliflower tater tots!? What is this majestic recipe, you ask? It’s pure, comfort-food bliss. It possesses the same hot mushy inside you’re used to encased by a crispy shell. But the difference between this savory snack and the traditional tot is that this better-for-you version is a combo of cauliflower, panko bread crumbs and garbanzo bean flour. Instead of frying in fatty oils, bake these bites in the oven and serve with ketchup, vegan ranch or homemade coconut curry dipping sauce.
1 small head cauliflower
1 Tbsp. dried onion
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. turmeric, optional
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. garbanzo bean flour
salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut cauliflower into medium-size florets.
- In food processor, pulse florets several times until they break down into small pieces.
- Add dried onion, nutritional yeast, oregano, basil, cayenne, white pepper, black pepper and turmeric (if using). Pulse to combine.
- Transfer mixture to bowl. Add salt, panko and garbanzo bean flour. Mix everything together.
- Grease hand with a little olive oil. Take a small portion of the mixture and mold into tater-tot shape. Repeat until mixture is used.
- On parchment-paper-lined baking sheet, arrange tater tots and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Additional tip: For extra crunch, consider rolling tots in bread crumbs before baking.