Many experts swear that skin toner is an essential part of any beauty regimen. But what exactly is it and do you really need to use it? Read on to learn more about this enigmatic skincare product.
What is skin toner?
Typically applied to the face, skin toner refers to a range of products designed to cleanse skin and reduce the appearance of pores. Known by a variety of names, including face toner, facial toner, toner, essence, exfoliating acid and tonic, it can also protect, moisturize, exfoliate and refresh skin, as well as restore its proper ph balance and even its tone. Skin toner usually has a water-like consistency.
Choosing a skin toner
Skin toner can be very beneficial as long as you select an alcohol-free variety that is recommended for your skin type.
- Normal skin: Individuals with normal skin should look for products containing coenzyme Q10 or hyaluronic acid.
- Combination skin: Those with combination skin should select a toner that contains lactic acid.
- Dry skin: Toners containing essential oils and glycerin are ideal for individuals with dry skin.
- Oily skin. People with oily complexions should choose a toner with bentonite clay or witch hazel.
- Sensitive skin: Toners containing aloe vera, algae and amino acids are ideal for those with sensitive skin.
- Acne-prone skin: Individuals with sensitive, acne-prone skin may benefit from a toner that contains alpha hydroxy acid (AHA). Toner containing salicylic acid can also be used to combat acne, however, the ingredient may cause irritation.
- Mature skin: Individuals with mature skin should seek toners with aloe vera or vitamin C.
When in doubt, check the product label, which will typically specify compatible skin types.
How to apply toner
Methods of application will vary depending on which toner you choose, but always refer to the product’s directions. Skin toner is usually applied using a clean cotton ball or pad, or sprayed directly onto the face. Start with a small amount and increase as needed because a little bit of toner goes a long way.
Because toner typically has a water-like consistency, it’s best applied after cleanser and before using any serums, moisturizers and oils. Gentle toners used for hydration may be applied daily whereas stronger varieties may be used a couple of times a week.
Toner product picks
Ready to add a skin toner to your beauty regimen? Here are six highly rated products to consider:*
Ideal for all skin types, this must-try toner refreshes, hydrates, conditions, tones and rebalances skin for a healthy complexion. Plus, its “special plant-based recipe is refreshing, light and never drying.”CSI CoQ10 Toner.
Searching for a skin toner that uses “only high-quality, naturally-derived ingredients?” Look no further! This popular product for normal to dry skin moisturizes and protects with aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, chamomile, sage, cucumber and papaya extracts, orange flower neroli and the naturally occurring antioxidant CoQ10.Andalou Naturals Brightening Clementine + C Illuminating Toner
This hypoallergenic toner is infused with vitamin C, which “supports skin’s vitality by targeting sun damaged, dull, dry, and over-exposed surface cells for a lighter, tighter, brighter appearance.” It’s gluten- and cruelty-free and derived from 99% natural ingredients.Reviva Labs Glycolic Acid Facial Toner.
This anti-aging toner “provides extra cleansing and the perfect pH balance, along with Glycolic’s natural benefits for smoother, fresher-looking skin.” Formulated with soothing emollients so it won’t sting your face!
Avalon Organics Wrinkle Therapy Perfecting Toner.
In addition to gently balancing, tightening and perfecting pores, this toner is “formulated with CoQ10 and rosehip to reverse and prevent visible signs of aging.” It contains organic ingredients you can feel good about, and it’s biodegradable!
This terrific toner is a must for folks with sensitive and/or acne-prone skin! It locks in moisture, reduces redness and irritation, helps prevent breakouts and provides anti-aging benefits, to boot!
*Always consult a dermatologist prior to beginning a new skincare regimen.