Got stains? Whether you’ve worn white to your favorite Italian restaurant (again), joined your kids for an impromptu game of tag football in the front yard or thought maybe this time you could manage balancing that coffee cup lidless in your lap on the way to work—we all have clothing that’s more, uh, colorful, as a result of daily living. But blotches, streaks and spots don’t have to stick around as a reminder that you’re living the good life. Here are some simple tricks from Method for smart stain removal.
That lttle pump positioned atop your beloved bottle of Method laundry detergent? It’s not only good for dispensing a nice, even stream of soap into your washer, it actually helps with precision spot treatment. Rather than dumping a puddle of liquid onto a soiled shirt, practice using the pump to apply just the right size dollop of detergent to pesky stains.
1. Using a damp rag, lightly wet the trouble spot.
2. Douse that dirt (or coffee or wine or baby spit-up) with a small amount of detergent. Use a toothbrush or a soft cloth to rub the soap into the stain. If you’re dealing with a doozy, give it some extra oomph—apply detergent, rub in, blot excess and repeat.
3. Back away from the garment. No really. Let the detergent work its magic for at least 15 mintues.
4. Wash time! Toss the treated fabric in the washer and run the load on warm (with a warm rinse, if possible).
5. Ta-da! When you pull out the piece, check to make sure the stain is gone. If it is, proceed to your usual drying method (yay!). If not, give it another go, following the same steps above.