Among the most popular vinegars in the natural health community, apple cider vinegar is made by adding yeast to fresh, pressed apples (apple cider). This ferments the fruit sugar, turning it into alcohol. Then bacteria are added to transform the alcohol into acetic acid, the compound that gives vinegar its distinctive smell and sour flavor.
Apple cider vinegar has been used throughout history as a household cleaning solution and home remedy for countless conditions ranging from sore throats to varicose veins. Today, many people believe it can aid in weight loss, help reduce blood sugar and cholesterol levels, control bacteria that cause acne and more.†
Unfiltered organic apple cider contains strands of beneficial bacteria, enzymes and proteins, known as “mother.” Many believe that the mother provides the majority of health benefits associated with apple cider vinegar.
Although you won’t find many vitamins and minerals in apple cider vinegar, it does contain some amino acids, antioxidants and potassium.
Creative apple cider vinegar uses
Perhaps the easiest way to introduce apple cider vinegar into your health regimen is to take a daily dose in tablet or capsule form. It is also commonly added to foods, such as chutneys, marinades and salad dressings, or diluted in beverages like water, seltzer or tea. Because of its high acid content, it is best to begin with small doses and avoid consuming too much undiluted apple cider vinegar at one time.
Ready to try apple cider vinegar for yourself? Check out these nine amazing products!
1. American Health Apple Cider Vinegar Tablets. Not a fan of the tart taste of apple cider vinegar? Not a problem! Take two of these convenient tablets daily to enjoy “all the nutritional benefits of apple cider vinegar” without the sharp flavor. They’re a great addition to any balanced diet and wellness program!
2. Vitacost Apple Cider Vinegar Capsules. These easy-to-swallow 500 mg capsules are another wonderful way to enjoy all the perks of apple cider vinegar without drinking or cooking with the liquid. Take one at mealtime, up to three times a day, to supplement your healthy lifestyle.
3. Bragg Organic Raw Unfiltered Unflavored Apple Cider Vinegar with the ‘Mother’. Maderom organic apples, this raw, unfiltered and unflavored apple cider vinegar is an “ideal pick-me up” at home, work or the gym. Simply add one to two teaspoons to an eight-ounce glass of purified water and sweeten to taste (if desired). GMO- and gluten-free!
4. Vitox Ready-To-Drink Banana Apple Cinnamon Drinking Vinegar. This ready-to-drink beverage, which contains a cold-pressed juice blend, including raw apple cider vinegar, boasts both prebiotic and probiotic properties. You’ll love the delicious flavor—a unique combo of banana, apple and cinnamon—and the fact that it contains no preservatives!
5. Vet’s Best Double Shot Vinegar Shot. These individually packaged “double shots” of apple cider vinegar have it all—even the mother! Best enjoyed with eight ounces of water or seltzer, they contain “rich flavors from whole foods” and natural sweetener. As the manufacturer boasts, they are flavorful, functional and unique!
6. Urban Moonshine Organic Cider Vinegar Bitters. These beneficial bitters, which contain organic apple cider, “help optimize digestive function and relieve gas, bloating, upset stomach and occasional nausea and heartburn” while supporting healthy liver function and radiant skin. And instead of alcohol, they’re blended with artichoke and gentian. Sour, earthy flavor!
7. LesserEvil The Green Elephant Kettle Cooked Salt ‘N Apple Cider Vinegar Potato Chips. These premium small batch kettle chips contain Himalayan pink salt and (you guessed it!) apple cider vinegar. What a “wholesome way to add nutrients and a delicious tangy flavor” to such a popular snack food! They’re kosher, vegan and free of gluten and GMOs.
8. Eden Foods Organic Brown Mustard with Apple Cider Vinegar. What’s even better than organic brown stone ground mustard? Organic brown stone ground mustard enhanced with apple cider vinegar! What a brilliant way to give marinades, sauces and, of course, your favorite meats, a delicious, healthful boost!
9. Roots & Fruits Apple Cider Vinegar & Honey Bar Soap. Made with antioxidant-rich honey and apple cider vinegar, which “has been used topically for centuries to promote skin health and healing,” this premium soap will naturally balance your skin’s natural ph. It’s incredibly nourishing and free of artificial fragrances and harsh chemicals.
†These statements have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.