The fruit might have been forbidden, but this dessert certainly is not! This apple crumb cake, topped with yogurt-based icing, dried apples and sliced almonds, might seem like a dessert any healthy foodie would just as soon avoid. But luckily, it’s made with better-for-you baking alternatives like protein powder, coconut flour and erythritol in place of sugar. One bite of this tempting dessert will send you straight to paradise.
Apple Crumb Cake with Vanilla Yogurt Icing
Macros per serving: 140 calories | 7.2 g net carbs | 9.8 g protein
1 scoop Quest Salted Caramel Protein Powder
¼ cup Nutiva Coconut Flour
¼ cup Swerve Granular Erythritol
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 jumbo egg
6 oz. 2% Fage yogurt
2 Tbsp. Sweet Spreads Vanilla Cupcake Coconutter, melted
1/8 tsp. vanilla
8 oz. diced Fuji apple
2 Tbsp. Swerve Confectioner’s Style Erythritol
2 Tbsp. 2% Fage yogurt
1 Tbsp. Sweet Spreads Vanilla Cupcake Coconutter, melted
1 Tbsp. fat-free half & half (can sub with cashew or almond milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together protein powder, coconut flour, granular erythritol, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, egg, yogurt, melted Coconutter and vanilla. Gently fold in diced Fuji apple.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with protein bar pieces, diced, dried apples and almonds.
- Bake for 35 minutes. If top gets too brown, cover with aluminum foil. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare icing. In a small bowl, combine all icing ingredient and mix well. Transfer to a small plastic bag and cut off the corner.
- When cake has cooled, drizzle icing over top.