Chicken, ribs, burgers—typical barbecue fare can get a little stale. Ready for a change? The next time you get a craving for a sweet-but-spicy sauce, serve zucchini boats stuffed with BBQ jackfruit. Vegan, low-carb and filling, this recipe will liven up any boring barbecue spread.
2 large zucchini, ends cut off, sliced and center scooped out
14 oz. jackfruit, drained and shredded
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
3/4 cups vegan BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line backing sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle zucchini slices with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté yellow onion for 5 minutes. (Use oil, if desired, but it is not necessary.)
- Add shredded jackfruit and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and coat with BBQ sauce.
- Load each zucchini with jackfruit mixture and place on prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until zucchini reaches desired softness. (Cooking for longer will result in softer zucchini.)
- To serve, drizzle with vegan ranch and top with scallions and, if needed, additional BBQ sauce, salt and pepper.