It can feel like a big decision to switch to a natural deodorant, especially if you work out regularly. Can a natural product really provide the protection you need? Years ago, when the selection was slim, it felt like a gamble trying a non-mainstream brand. Now, improved formulations and greater options make it easier to know you’re doing the right thing by choosing natural. I made the switch a while back, and I haven’t had a stinky day since!
When you’re trying to live a healthier lifestyle, exercise and nutrition aren’t the only things to take into account. Personal care products (like deodorant) should be considered, too, as skin is our largest organ and what we apply to it is absorbed into our bodies. Conventional deodorants and antiperspirants, for example, may contain aluminum – an ingredient that may be a health concern for some people, notably those with kidney problems.
Not sure where to start? No sweat! Review these deodorant facts, then take a look at some of my favorite natural women’s sport deodorants below.
- Deodorants are made to block odor.
- Most natural deodorants are made from plant-based ingredients such as plant oils and botanical extracts.
- Natural deodorants are free from aluminum, paraben, sulfate and phthalates.
- Antiperspirants block sweat. Their main ingredient in conventional antiperspirants is aluminum, which works to block sweat glands. Natural antiperspirants won’t block pores but rather allow ‘good’ bacteria to grow, eventually reducing odor when you sweat. Some say it takes a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to natural antiperspirant (though this wasn’t the case for me).
- Natural deodorants tend to be hard to the touch; warm up the stick against your skin before using.
- Not every natural deodorant works for everyone, so you may need to try a couple to find what works best for your body.
Here are five of my top recommendations for women’s sport deodorant.
Thinksport is a leader in safe, non-toxic personal care products. This natural deodorant is designed specifically for physically active people and athletes. Ingredients include shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax, and it comes in a variety of scents including chamomile citrus, aloe and tea flowers, bergamot cedarwood, currant and grapefruit, or unscented.
Available in stick or cream form, Schmidt’s wildly popular natural deodorant formulas help neutralize odor and keep you fresh without aluminum, propylene glycol or animal ingredients. They come in a variety of scents and also include formulas for sensitive skin.
Need extra strength or long-lasting protection? Look no further than Herbal Clear’s 24-hour sport deodorant. It combines the benefits of tea tree oil and vitamin E to help inhibit perspiration while also nourishing your skin. It’s free of aluminum, dyes and alcohol and boasts testing by National Health & Wellness Club members.
Before you hit the gym, swipe on Kiss My Face’s Liquid Rock natural deodorant. It provides sheer all-day protection, thanks to naturally derived mineral crystal salts and Antioxidant Defenders. What you don’t get is aluminum chlorodyeate, parabens or any annoying white streak marks on your shirt!
For 48-hour protection, go for Tom’s of Maine Natural Strength Women’s Deodorant. Featuring an exclusive blend of odor-neutralizing botanicals, this trusty product will leave you feeling fresh without exposure to chemicals. No aluminum. No artificial fragrance. No disappointment when you throw this deodorant into your gym bag!