Warm, creamy comfort food holds a special place in your heart. And, now, it can have a regular spot in your dinner-table rotation. You’ll cozy up to this stovetop recipe again and again for a number of reasons. First the obvious: pasta always makes for an easy weeknight meal. Better than that is the butternut squash sauce that pours over your penne. In addition to the great benefits of onions, garlic and vegetable stock, butternut squash provides antioxidants vitamin A and vitamin C to support your healthy immune system. Feeling more at ease already, aren’t you?
Makes 1 quart of sauce
1 box (8 oz.) lentil penne pasta
1 cup raw, unsalted cashews, soaked overnight
2 Tbsp. butter-flavored coconut oil
1/2 cup onion, peeled and minced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and diced
1-1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup hemp milk
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add buttery-flavored coconut oil, onion and garlic. Sauté 4-5 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Add butternut squash pieces, vegetable stock, hemp milk and spices. Bring mixture to a gentle boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Drain cashews and place in a high-speed blender. Add squash sauce and blend until completely smooth.
- Stir in basil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and toss with sauce.
- Serve pasta topped with vegan Parmesan and more basil, if desired.