Your desire for desserts might come in phases. Whether motivated by the seasons or a simple change in preferences, you can fall deeply, hopelessly in love with new recipes, proclaiming each to be your absolute favorite, time and time again. Here’s your new, can’t-get-enough, where-have-you-been-all-my-life dessert love. These snickerdoodle cookies, coated in sweet cinnamon and coconut sugar, are made with only vegan and gluten-free ingredients. Don’t be surprised if you fall completely head over heels.
Chocolate Snickerdoodles (Gluten-Free & Vegan)
Makes 24 cookies
1-¼ cup Vitacost Gluten-Free Baking Flour
¼ cup raw cacao powder
¾ cup coconut palm sugar (+ 2 Tbsp. for rolling)
1 Tbsp. flaxseed, ground
½ tsp. cinnamon (+ 1 tsp. for rolling)
½ tsp. xanthan gum
½ tsp. aluminum-free baking soda
¼ tsp. pink salt
¼ tsp. nutmeg
8 Tbsp. coconut oil
4-6 Tbsp. water (+ 3 Tbsp. for “flax egg”)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine flax with 3 tablespoons of water to make “flax egg.” Mix together and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the baking powder, cinnamon, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the coconut oil and coconut sugar with an electric mixer. Add in the cacao powder, the flax egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients into the wet. Mix, adding a tablespoon of water at a time as needed, until just combined.
- Chill dough for half an hour in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the cinnamon and sugar for rolling.
- Scoop the dough out into 1-inch balls and roll each into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on baking sheet and flatten with a fork.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until edges have browned slightly.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.