With St. Patrick’s Day around the corner, everyone has corned beef and cabbage on their minds. But while you’re celebrating the luck of the Irish, don’t forget about another food favorite: the potato. In this spin on the traditional Irish dish colcannon, potatoes combine with roasted cabbage for the ultimate comforting side dish. Instead of the milk or cream you’d normally find in colcannon, this vegan, gluten-free recipe uses coconut oil to blend the ingredients together.
20 rose potatoes (small red potatoes, about 2.5 lbs.)
Half head of cabbage, thinly sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic, whole and unpeeled
1 shallot, sliced
Salt and pepper
Grapeseed oil spray
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
2 tsp. olive oil
3-4 scallions, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Arrange shredded cabbage onto half sheet pan along with shallot and unpeeled garlic cloves. Spray with grapeseed oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot with water, combine potatoes with olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil and cook 20 minutes until potatoes are soft but not mushy.
- Remove cabbage from oven and set aside. Remove garlic peel.
- Drain cooked potatoes from water and add back to pot. Add cabbage, peeled garlic and shallot to pot. Add coconut oil and, with an immersion blender, mash potatoes and cabbage together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, garnish with scallions.