Good things come to those who wait. This dish is certainly proof of that! You’ll wait for the sorghum to cook (about 50 minutes), but in the end, you get a delightful, flavorful grain salad on your plate. Curious about sorghum? It’s a chewy, round ancient grain that dates back thousands of years, and it’s naturally gluten-free. Thanks to its hearty texture and nutritious profile, this salad is delightfully filling and satisfying, especially with the addition of the coconut-curry dressing. Add grilled tofu for a complete, vegetarian meal.
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Sorghum, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup raisins
1 Tbsp. curry powder
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sea salt, divided
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 cups slivered carrots
1/4 cup chopped green onion
3 cups water
1 cup canned coconut milk
3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- In a medium pot, combine sorghum, 1/2 tsp sea salt and water. Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- When done, drain remaining water and mix in raisins, carrots and onions.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine curry powder, sugar, remaining sea salt, chili powder, coconut milk and rice vinegar.
- Transfer sorghum mixture to mixing bowl and toss with dressing.
- Allow salad to cool to room temperature before serve. Or, chill before serving.