Celebrating the Festival of Lights? Hailing from Germany during the 12th century, kugel is a traditional recipe that’s popular in many Jewish households. Typically starting with a starch base and eggs, it’s an ever-evolving holiday staple that can be savory or sweet (ever try cinnamon-raisin kugel? Yum!). This gluten-free take on the classic casserole uses minimal oil and replaces processed egg noodles with nutritious chickpea pasta. Serve your mishpucha (family) this holiday dish and they’re sure to shout l’chaim (to life!) before the celebratory toast even starts.
Potato & Chickpea Noodle Kugel
- 4 large organic russet potatoes peeled
- 1 yellow onion peeled
- 3 tsp. Emperors Kitchen Organic Chopped Garlic
- 2 tsp. Redmond Real Salt Ancient Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Simply Organic Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Buttery Flavor melted
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch
- 2 Tbsp. Bragg Premium Nutritional Yeast
- 1 box Explore Cuisine Chickpea Spaghetti
- 4 green onions or chives diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Coarsely grate potatoes and onion into large bowl. Mix in salt, pepper, melted coconut oil, eggs, potato starch and nutritional yeast.
In medium bowl, mix together coconut cream, lemon juice, dill and salt.
Mix sour cream into potato-onion mixture until well combined.
Break pasta into quarters by breaking noodles in half, then in half again.
In baking dish, arrange a 3/4” layer of potato mixture, a layer of pasta, another layer of potato mixture, another layer of pasta, then a final layer of potato mixture. Sprinkle nutritional yeast over.
Cook 40 minutes. Serve with diced chives and vegan sour cream, if desired.