One bite out of these fall-inspired cupcakes and you wouldn’t believe that they’re actually made with nourishing, wholesome ingredients. A combo of healthy flours, including tigernut (or almond if you choose!) and coconut, organic pumpkin puree, natural apple sauce and nutritious sweeteners (date paste, pure maple syrup – YUM!), these frosted treats are out of this world. They’re perfect for the season, but we think they’re worth baking any time of year!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting & Caramel Drizzle
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. tigernut flour or almond flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. pink salt
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup apple sauce
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, liquefied
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Coconut cream frosting
Date caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut cream* (from refrigerated coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup date paste
- Pinch pink salt
- Pumpkin pie spice
Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Line 9 muffin cups with parchment liners.
In large bowl, whisk dry ingredients: coconut flour, tigernut flour, baking powder, coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
Make a well in center of bowl. Add eggs, applesauce, pumpkin puree, coconut oil and vanilla. Mix well until fully incorporated.
Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups. Smooth tops. Note: Cups should be almost full.
Bake 25-28 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
In the meantime, make coconut whipped cream. Remove cream from canned coconut milk (reserve liquid for another use). In bowl, combine coconut cream, coconut nectar, vanilla and arrowroot starch. Mix with hand mixer, until peaks form, about 1-2 minutes. Refrigerate until cupcakes are ready to be iced.
To make date caramel sauce, combine date syrup, coconut cream and salt in small saucepan. Bring to low boil over medium-low heat. Whisk every minute or so, while cooking for 7-10 minutes. Set aside.
When cupcakes are ready, let cool completely. Once cool, frost cupcakes, drizzle with date caramel sauce and sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
- *To get the coconut cream from canned coconut milk, refrigerate can overnight. The cream will separate from the liquid. Scoop out the cream only, and reserve the liquid for another use.
- These cupcakes are not overly sweet, although you could certainly add more sweetener if you want a real treat.
- Order these ingredients at Vitacost.com and we'll deliver them to your door!