You might not be able to stomach gluten, but that shouldn’t stop you from enjoying a cheese Danish every once in a while. This recipe uses gluten-free flour to create a delicious treat that will delight those with sensitivities and those with iron stomachs. Plus, with a few simple swaps, you can make this dish entirely dairy-free. Now that’s good news for your tummy!
1-3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Flour
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. turbinado sugar, separated
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cups vanilla almond milk
2 Tbsp. butter or dairy-free alternative
1 Tbsp. instant yeast
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. vinegar
2 tsp. baking powder
2 extra large eggs
1/2 cup powdered sugar
8 oz. cream cheese or dairy-free alternative
1 tsp. vanilla
1 extra large egg yolk
1 extra large egg white
1 Tbsp. water
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp. vanilla almond milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large stand mixer equipped with a dough hook, combine flour, 1/4 cup turbinado sugar, corn starch, yeast and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, heat almond milk and butter to 100 degrees F. With the stand mixer on low, slowly pour the warm butter-milk into the dry ingredients. Add vanilla, vinegar and eggs. Increase mixing speed to medium and mix for 5 minutes, and then set aside dough for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cheese filling. In a clean, small bowl, combine filling ingredients and mix until combined.
- Spread dough out onto prepared baking sheet, reserving about 1 cup for topping. Roll up the edges slightly to give them a lip to hold the filling.
- Spread cream cheese filling onto dough. Then, spoon splotches of the remaining dough onto cream cheese. Use a knife to swirl dough and cream cheese.
- In a separate small bowl, mix egg white and water. Brush the top with egg mixture. Sprinkle on remaining tablespoon of turbinado sugar. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before glazing.
- To make the glaze, combine ingredients in a small bowl, adding the milk one tablespoon at a time. When pastry has cooled, drizzle with glaze.
Original cheese danish recipe courtesy of Sarena Shasteen for Bob’s Red Mill.
Following a gluten-free diet? Check out the large selection of gluten-free favorites on Vitacost.com!