When it comes to family gatherings, ordinary desserts just won’t do. Whether you’re celebrating a holiday or birthday or getting together for a weeknight dinner, your friends and family deserve a sweet treat that doesn’t hold back. To go all in, serve these gluten-free buttermilk cupcakes, chockfull of rich, chocolaty flavor and frosted with luscious vanilla buttercream. In the end, these cupcakes just might turn an everyday meal into an extraordinary feast.
¾ cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
6 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 egg white
6 Tbsp. buttermilk
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
3 Tbsp. hot water
4-½ cups powdered sugar
1-½ cups butter, softened
2-4 Tbsp. milk or cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use paper liners to line muffin tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk cocoa and hot water until consistency is thick and pasty. Once thick, mix in egg and egg white. Add melted butter and buttermilk and whisk. Add dry mixture and mix until combined and smooth.
- Pour batter into liners. Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting. In a large bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Mix in vanilla and almond extract. Add milk or cream until consistency becomes creamy and smooth.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Following a gluten-free diet? Shop Vitacost.com for all your gluten-free needs.