It’s beginning to look a lot like these peppermint brownies will take over your holiday season. Luckily, a gluten-free brownie mix makes baking (and clean up!) a breeze. Peppermint extract adds a refreshing burst of flavor to both the batter and the cream cheese frosting. But the real kicker here is the crushed candy cane pieces sprinkled over top. What a treat!
21 oz. Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Brownie Mix
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-1/2 – 3 cups powdered sugar
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. butter soft
Peppermint candies crushed, to garnish (about 6 candy canes)
2 – 4 drops peppermint extract, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat brownie mix with peppermint, vanilla, butter and egg until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan for 20-25 minutes. It’s done when you stick a toothpick in the center and it comes out without any crumbs. Allow brownies to cool completely (about 30 minutes) before frosting.
- In a clean, large bowl, mix butter and cream cheese until smooth and fully combined. Add powdered sugar and peppermint extract, if desired. Mix until fluffy.
- Once brownies have cooled, gently frost them and sprinkle with chunks of peppermint.
- Slice into 16 pieces before serving.