It’s pasta night. Oh, the possibilities! Will you serve fork-twirling strands of spaghetti or curly-Q corkscrews? Should you spoon on a hearty, garlicky sauce or stick with light, with a flavorful oil and herb coating? One thing’s for certain: a healthier noodle and homemade sauce beats ordinary white-flour varieties and jarred concoctions, any night of the week. So tie on an apron and get cooking! Top a bowlful of gluten-free, brown rice macaroni with a veggie-enhanced, quick-to-make marinara—and stir in sausage crumbles for extra protein. With a recipe like this, decision making is easy.
Gluten-Free Macaroni with Homemade Marinara Sauce & Sausage
3 mild Italian sausages, casing removed
1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/3 cup carrots, finely shredded
1 can Vitacost whole peeled tomatoes
1 tsp. pink salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, minced
1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, minced
16 oz. Vitacost gluten-free elbow macaroni
- In medium sauté pan, cook sausage over medium heat until done, breaking sausage into crumbles while cooking. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Add shallots, shredded carrots to pan and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, then stir in garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour in tomatoes and juices. Mash tomatoes with a fork. Cover, stir and set to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni in boiling water for about 7 minutes, until al dente.
- Before serving, stir in fresh basil and oregano. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate macaroni and ladle sauce on top.