Remember Mom’s lasagna? You can still picture that piping hot, pastel casserole dish piled high with layers of noodles, sauce and cheese – and who could forget the smell that wafted through the house, bringing everyone to the dinner table? But if you (or anyone in your family) now deals with dairy or gluten intolerance, lasagna may be nothing more than a distant memory.
Good news: there’s a way to satisfy your cravings for this homemade classic and be sensitive to common stomach woes. This dairy-free, gluten-free lasagna is made with rice noodles, spinach, zucchini, marinara and you-won’t-believe-it’s-not-ricotta filling. Even Mom won’t be able to resist it!
- 16 ounces non-GMO sprouted tofu, extra firm
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 small cloves garlic, peel and crushed
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and excess liquid drained
- 1 medium zucchini, washed and finely grated
- 16 ounces marinara pasta sauce
- 1 box gluten free “no-boil” lasagna noodles
- Drain tofu by pressing onto it with paper towels. Pat dry.
- Break apart tofu and add to food processor along with olive oil, sea salt, oregano, crushed garlic and nutritional yeast. Process on high until smooth. This is your ‘ricotta-like’ filling!
- Add thawed and drained spinach to tofu mixture and pulse to combine. Set aside.
- Measure pasta sauce into bowl and then stir in shredded zucchini.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour ½ cup pasta sauce into the bottom of a 8 x 8 inch glass pan, enough to cover bottom of pan.
- Place one layer of lasagna noodles over sauce.
- Pour ½ cup sauce over noodles, spread evenly.
- Dot “ricotta” mixture onto sauce-covered noodles, then spread out in an even layer.
- Repeat layers, starting with noodles, then sauce, and “ricotta.” Last layer should be noodles covered with sauce.
- Cover lasagna loosely with foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until noodles are soft.
- Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Yields 8 servings.
If you’re hungry for more, download our vegan recipe book.