Role models should not only help propel you to a new level of greatness, but they should – at the root of it all – be relatable, someone you can sit down and have coffee with. Health Raiser of the Week, Alissa, is that kind of person. Though she has her own down-to-earth role model, Alissa strives to be that same kind of figure for her growing children. For them (and for everyone), she keeps the message simple: feel good about yourself – because you deserve it!
What does health mean to you?
Health means taking care of yourself both mind and body…eating well, feeling strong and fit, and feeling happy and good about yourself.
What inspired you to start living a healthy life?
My kids! After my second child was born, I decided that I wanted to be a positive role model for them. I wanted to be able to run around with them, be active and teach them how to feel good about themselves. I wanted to show them they can do anything they set their minds to. Our bodies are stronger than we think.
What are three things you do to stay healthy?
- I’m at the gym 5-6 days a week. It helps me both physically and mentally.
- I also eat a very clean diet. On Sundays, I plan out the whole next week by setting a menu and deciding which days I’ll be at the gym. I’ve found that if I have a plan in place, it’s easier to stick with it. This works so much better than trying to squeeze in well-rounded meals and workouts however the day sees fit. Basically, I take control before things get out of control.
- Because hydration plays a huge part in our health, I make sure to drink a gallon of water every day.
What is one motivational quote that you live by?
I actually LOVE motivational quotes! This one from Muhammad Ali is my favorite, but I’ll offer a couple bonus ones that I’ve seen around.
“Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them – a desire. A dream. A vision. They have to have the skill. And the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.” – Muhammad Ali
- Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated.
- Don’t let dreams just be dreams.
- Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret.
If you were stranded on a desert island, what Vitacost product could you not live without?
Hands down, ARO Amino Plus BCAA!
What advice do you have for someone who is trying to live healthier?
Find what makes you happy and go for it!!! Life is too short to have regrets.
Is there a role model that you look up to?
I love Natalie Hodson and follow her on Facebook and Instagram. She’s a mom of two small children and really shows how to (try to) balance health, kids, work and working out. She doesn’t sugar-coat the truth. Her blogs and posts are very honest and relatable.