During holiday gatherings, you might a enjoy long, lazy dinner, sipping on cider and recoutning memories with friends and family, but the youngsters will need more to keep their attention. Before they start playing ball in your nicely decorated house, get their creative juices flowing by crafting homemade ornaments. Simply bake these fragrant gingerbread ornaments a few days before your party, and when the kiddos arrive, let the painting and decorating begin!
Homemade Gingerbread Ornaments
Pencil or straw
Varnish or clear acrylic paint
Thread or ribbon
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and shortening. Add in molasses. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift in flour, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and water into shortening mixture. Once combined, mix together until well incorporated. Refrigerate 6-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate the refrigerated dough into thirds. Lightly knead each chunk and roll out to ¼-inch thickness.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place on prepared baking pan. With a pencil or straw, poke out holes in the top of each.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then turn off oven and allow cookies to cool inside oven.
- Transfer cookies to cooling racks for 2-3 days to completely harden. Coat cookies with varnish or clear acrylic paint.
- Paint cookies with acrylic paints in the colors of your choice. Set aside and let dry before threading.
- Once dry, thread ornament with thread or ribbon. Knot the ends.