Giant soft-baked pretzels are typically reserved for enjoying at theme parks and mall food courts. But if you master how to make your own at home, you can reduce the wait time in between visits! Plus, after you try this recipe, you’ll seriously be considering if you should open a pretzel shop of your own. Pair these warm, fluffy pretzels with three unique dipping sauces for added flare: honey mustard, spicy chipotle sriracha and an Indian-inspired spiced cheesy cilantro mint.
Makes 8 pretzels
1 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. sugar
2-1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
2 tbsp. oil or melted unsalted butter
1 tsp. salt
2-1/4 cup + 2-4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (may need less or more)
Sesame seeds, optional, to sprinkle
Spicy chipotle sriracha sauce
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. water, or as needed
2 tsp. sriracha
1/2 tsp. chipotle powder
Salt, to taste
Spiced cheesy cilantro mint sauce
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1-1/2 cups milk
1 cup cheddar or mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp. Vitacost Organic Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. red chili powder
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped mint
salt, to taste
1. In bowl (can be steel stand mixer bowl), add warm water, sugar and yeast and give a quick stir. Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes in order for the yeast to proof.
2. Once you see bubbles on top and mixture is frothy, it means the yeast is activated. Stir in oil or melted butter, salt and flour (1/2 cup at a time). Mix until dough forms. (You may need to add more flour if dough isn’t coming together.) Once dough forms, switch to dough hook and knead for 5-6 minutes until smooth and spring backs when poked. You may also knead with your hands for 10 minutes.
3. Lightly grease large bowl with oil. Transfer dough to bowl. Cover and keep in warm place for an hour. It will double in size. While the dough is rising, make soda bath by mixing together 4-5 cups water with baking soda. Stir until soda dissolves completely. Then, set it aside for the water to cool down a bit to lukewarm temperature.
4. Once the dough has risen, punch it down and then divide into 8 equal parts. Roll each part into a long rope, around 17-18 inches long and then shape each into a pretzel shape. Transfer pretzels into soda bath and let them remain there for around 2 minutes. Remove pretzels from soda bath and transfer to a baking sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
5. Bake at 475 degrees F. for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. You may brush the pretzels with melted butter once out of the oven. These pretzels taste best when fresh!
Honey mustard dipping sauce: In bowl, whisk mayonnaise, honey and Dijon mustard until combined. Add black pepper and lime juice and stir to combine. Serve.
Spicy chipotle sriracha sauce: In bowl, whisk yogurt and sour cream. Add water and whisk to combine. Stir in sriracha, chipotle powder and salt to taste. Mix and serve.
Spiced cheesy cilantro mint sauce: Warm pan over medium heat. Add flour and butter. Whisk continuously until butter dissolves and let mixture bubble for 30-40 seconds. Add in milk and keep whisking until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove pan from heat and stir in cheese, salt, cumin, smoked paprika, red chili powder, chopped cilantro and mint. Mix until well combined. Serve immediately!