After you slice off all the turkey meat and wrap it up for leftovers, you just throw the rest in the garbage, right? Wrong. Make good use of those turkey bones with just a little bit of water and whatever spices you want. Once broken down, this homemade stock can be used for soups and stews – or just sipped straight like a soothing elixir. Leftovers have never been so practical.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Break down turkey carcass into small enough pieces to fit in a Dutch oven.
- Add enough water to cover carcass completely.
- Pour in vinegar.
- Sprinkle in herbs and spices. If using fresh herbs, tie together with twine.
- Cook in oven 12 – 24 hours.
- Remove fresh herbs (if using) and large bones. Discard.
- Using a sieve, strain remaining turkey stock.
- Drink as is, use as a base for turkey carcass soup, stew and vegetable puree. You can also pour the turkey stock into ice trays or glass jars and freeze for up to 6 months.