Did you know that you can use the root end of the organic celery you bought at the store or farmer’s market to grow your very own stalks? Re-growing celery from scraps is easy and fun!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A bunch of celery
- Sharp knife
- Small bowl
- Fresh water
- Potting soil
- Slow-release fertilizer
- Pot with drainage holes
Follow these simple steps to produce a steady supply of celery for all your juicing needs:
- Slice off the end. Hold your celery bunch firmly and cut approximately two inches off the root end.
- Place the cutting in water. Set the celery in a small glass bowl. Then add fresh water until approximately an inch of the cutting is submerged. Place the bowl in a spot where it will receive lots of natural light throughout the day. Change out the water every two days, taking care to submerge the root end.
- Watch the celery grow. In a few days, small leaves should begin to emerge from the top of the cutting. After approximately a week, you may see more leaves and even some small stalks. A little browning around the outer base is perfectly normal but should serve as a reminder that the celery must be planted in soil before it starts to rot.
- Plant the celery in soil. You are now ready to plant the celery in a container filled with potting soil. Be sure to select a pesticide-free variety that is suitable for herbs and vegetables and mix in some slow-release fertilizer (according to package directions).
Dig a hole in the center of the soil that is deep enough to accommodate the entire cutting while allowing any new growth (i.e., leaves and stalks) to protrude past the soil. Then set the celery in the hole and fill in the surrounding soil, taking care to ensure there aren’t any air pockets. Finally, make sure the soil remains moist (but not over-saturated) and give the celery sufficient shade during the hottest afternoon hours.
- Harvest the stalks. Carefully snap them off and enjoy. You can also harvest the leaves for use in soups and salads!
Once your celery is ready for consumption, boost your juice with these fun, flavorful greens powders:
Jazz up your celery juice with the refreshing fruit flavor of this superfruit greens powder! The energizing formula is packed with antioxidants and vitamin C and free of dairy, soy, gluten and GMOs. And did we mention that it’s “the easiest and most delicious way to fuel your whole family with powerful whole food nutrition?”
This must-try berry-flavored SuperFood® powder contains “a combination of five key blends made from high quality fruits, vegetables and herbs.” In addition to helping neutralize free radicals, it supports brain and immune system function and promotes healthier skin. Simply put, it will be your celery’s new best friend!
This nutrient-rich powder “supports the Four Foundations of Health: nutrition, digestion, circulation and immunity.” Additional benefits include detoxification, increased energy and stress relief. Just add a scoop to your morning celery juice and enjoy!
Want to improve your digestion, increase your energy levels and enhance your mental acuity? This powerful powder does all the above and more! It pairs perfectly with celery juice and “contains over 100 beneficial phytonutrients including enzymes, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, protein, carotenoids, flavonoids and chlorophyll.”