Nature-lover Kimi Avila is a 30-year-old mother of three. Just one look at her popular Instagram page @kimilove, and you’ll instantly notice her favorite moments are spent with her kiddos, husband, three pups and plants—lots and lots of plants.
After being diagnosed with celiac disease in 2012, she’s been following a strict diet clear of wheat and other common foods that also contain gluten. Now, Kimi is a self-proclaimed gluten-free foodie who truly makes healthy living look easy.
She simplifies her diet by eating mostly plants and satisfying food cravings whenever they hit (she bakes a mean batch of macarons!). And although Kimi may not have a structured exercise routine, she certainly finds ways to stay active.
“My way to get moving is daily dance parties with my kids in our living room and running around with them in the backyard,” she says.
To hold herself accountable, Kimi created a community of fun-loving followers who engage with her almost-daily postings. When asked why she took to social media in the first place, her response was a simple one, “my goal is to spread kindness and truth as far as I can, as well as sharing my passions, dreams, and yes—even my hurdles and setbacks—to let others know they are not alone.”
For more sweet sayings and healthy tidbits, catch up on our Q&A below with the wellness warrior herself!
1. What kicked off your health journey?
I really started getting into healthy living about 10 years ago when I worked for a major health food store. I was fortunate enough to receive some first class training on all topics of health and wellness, and it sparked something inside of me to want to treat my body better.
I often struggle with anxiety, migraines and depression and wholly believe that taking care of ourselves—body, mind and spirit—can have a major impact on our mental health and wellness overall. I was also diagnosed with celiac and being a gluten-free foodie has become a big part of my health journey.
2. Tell us more! How has eating gluten-free affected daily life for you?
I have been strictly gluten-free since 2012 and will often cut dairy and sugar out of my diet for long periods of time if I feel like I need a reset. After the reset, I only consume dairy and sugar in moderation.
3. What do you typically eat in a day?
I always start my morning with a glass of water with lemon (if I have it).
- Breakfast: Coffee with Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides and unsweetened almond milk, fruit and either peanut butter on gluten-free toast or two eggs over medium.
- Snack: Nuts and/or turkey
- Lunch: Usually a couple cups of veggies with turkey or chicken, or a wrap on lettuce.
- Snack: A bowl of cereal or a handful of chips—but I try to stick to nuts or even popcorn.
- Dinner: This varies of course, but you can typically find us enjoying a lean protein and a veggie or salad, which varies depending on what is in season, with either quinoa or a potato/sweet potato.
4. What’s the most challenging part about healthy living for you?
Honestly, for me, the hardest part is “dieting.” I’m terrible with that kind of structure, so if you tell me I have to do something, chances are I will fail. My jam is to be mindful of my body, mind and spirit, and to nurture myself as a form of self-love.
5. We could all definitely use a little more of that! Do you ever “nurture” cheat-food cravings? What’s your go-to?
I love macarons! I make them homemade, so whenever the craving hits I whip up a batch. Fortunately, I have lots of friends and family to share them with, or I’d eat a whole batch myself!
6. How do you stay inspired and who do you look up to?
I have the most amazing friends and community on Instagram, and often don’t need to look further than them to be inspired. They are incredible and I’m in awe of them daily! I have many different role models for many different areas of my life. The women in my family are a huge inspiration to me from my mom to my sisters and my in-laws. They are strong, resilient and beautiful inside and out.
7. Now, a little about us… what do you ♥ about Vitacost?
Vitacost makes living healthy affordable and attainable—especially for a busy mom of three. They save me from having to load all the kids in the car to make the trek to the health food store—which is about a 45 minute roundtrip drive—since everything is sent straight to my door. I love the variety of products that they offer, and beyond that, the quality and standards they keep are what really keeps me coming back.
8. Well, that’s what we’re here for—to make life easier! What are the top 3 items we can find in your Vitacost box?
Oh gosh, it’s hard to pick just three… but my current faves are:
- CSI Vitamin C Serum: it does so much for my skin.
- Synergy Once Daily Multvitamins: I hate taking supplements with every single meal. These vitamins pack so much goodness into one morning dose and give me tons of energy.
- Anything from Acure: I love the brand. They make me feel pampered when I use them and as a mom (or any person on the go!) self-care is super important!
9. If you could advise someone who is just getting started on the path to healthier living, what would you tell them?
There is no better time to start than right now and just take it one minute, one meal and one choice at a time. Don’t put it off until Monday, or wait until you have a “reason” to do it, make every day count. Love yourself enough to take care of you. Don’t look at it as a diet, then it becomes a chore and is so restricting and can be disheartening if you “mess up.” It should fun! It should be about loving and respecting yourself enough to make the right choices for you. One day at a time.