Your skin is your largest organ. Anything you put on it can seep right through and into your bloodstream. That includes parabens and other dangerous chemicals in skin products. So while many of us focus on putting healthy foods in our bodies (which is amazing!), it’s also important to consider the products that we put on our bodies, too.
Unfortunately, too many of these products are littered with chemicals and preservatives that head right into the bloodstream and travel throughout our bodies, wreaking havoc by causing inflammation and more. But it doesn’t have to be that way if you stick to natural skin care.
This homemade lotion is a clean beauty solution for your face and body. Aging is an indication of the time moving forward and while we cannot stop time, we may be able to help reduce the signs of it through our skin. This lotion is easy to make and will soothe skin while offering a healthy glow soon after the first application.
What’s in it?
- Olive oil: This DIY lotion has moisturizing characteristics without being too greasy, thanks to beneficial olive oil. Used since ancient times, olive oil contains squalene, which is a phenolic compound loaded with useful anti-aging antioxidants and hydrating qualities.
- Beeswax is another amazing skin-healing ingredient that locks in moisture. Beeswax is packed with softening and emollient-rich vitamin A, which can help rebuild damaged skin cells. It’s comedogenic, which means it won’t clog pores, keeping the skin moist and blackhead-free.
- Shea butter: This ingredient adds rich texture and has the ability to boost collagen – a protein naturally produced by your body that’s concentrated in skin, muscles, bones, blood vessels, joints and tendons.
- Frankincense: Not only is this essential oil an anti-aging and wrinkle-fighting ingredient, it helps heal bacteria-containing blemishes.
- Lavender helps reduce acne-causing bacteria while providing relaxing benefits as well.
- Peppermint oil can eliminate aches from sore muscles and rejuvenate the skin. It’s also microbial, providing calming effects inflamed skin such as a sunburn, eczema and psoriasis.
3 helpful tips
- If you prefer a creamier texture, use an electric mixer or hand beater for a minute or two. Blend ingredients until you reach your desired consistency, cool and store in container for daily use (a glass mason jar or BPA-free plastic pump bottle works best).
- Since this combination uses coconut oil, it’s a good idea to refrigerate lotion during warmer months to prevent melting and maintain consistency.
- Avoid the eye area when rubbing in this luxurious, chemical-free lotion and wash hands thoroughly after each application.
DIY Essential Oil Lotion: Frankincense, Lavender & Peppermint
Use double boiler method or heat-safe glass bowl (you can also use a glass measuring cup) that fits inside a pan to melt olive oil, shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax. Stir until completely melted and combined.
Remove from heat, add essential oils and stir until well blended.
Allow mixture to cool while periodically checking consistency. Tip: For a thinner, creamier consistency, use a hand mixer (or electric mixer) for one or two minutes.
Spoon mixture into container with pump or tightfitting lid. Apply, as needed, to face and body, avoiding the eyes.