Eating a well-balanced, portion-controlled meal is easy enough at home, but healthy living can get tricky on the go. This veggie-lovers salad, conveniently packed into a jar, is the perfect, portable lunch option for a busy foodie. The secret to keeping each ingredient fresh and crispy is in the layers: the dressing goes in first and sits on the bottom, while the lettuce and greens are added last. Nutritious and incredibly handy, this salad is fast food we can get behind.
How to Pack a Salad in a Jar
2-4 Tbsp. balsamic dressing
1-2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
¼ cup bell pepper, diced
½ cup broccoli florets
⅛ cup roasted onion
½ cup black beans
⅛ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2-3 cups greens or lettuce, packed
- First, pour dressing into jar and follow with seeds. Then, add veggies. Make sure all your washed veggies are fully dry before adding them to jar. Add bell pepper, broccoli, onions, black beans and tomatoes.
- Finish it off with the greens, pushing them down to pack them in.
- Feel free to use veggies you’d like, and to swap the beans, seeds and dressing for your own favorites. Just make sure dressing is on the bottom and greens are at the top, so everything stays fresh.
- Shake it up and eat the salad straight from the jar or pour the ingredients into a bowl.
- These salads will stay fresh for 3-4 days.