Whether you’ve picked up a plastic containerful at the supermarket or used the jar method to soak, drain and grow your own, sprouts are an exceptionally nutritious addition to any dish. Get in on the green goodness with a dairy-free, gluten-free pasta salad, made with fresh-sprouted mung beans, crisp asparagus spears and a tangy homemade dressing that’s creamy but light. Fill a jar, pack a picnic and enjoy a healthy lunch laced with living foods!
Asparagus & Mung Bean Sprout Pasta Salad
2 Tbsp. tahini
2 Tbsp. whole-grain mustard
2 Tbsp. flaxseed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 clove garlic, minced
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup water
Optional: ½ tsp. kelp granules
- Fill colander with asparagus and set in sink.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, draining using colander filled with asparagus (which will cook the cut spears just slightly); let sit for one minute, then rinse with cold water.
- In large bowl, combine all pasta salad ingredients and set aside.
- For dressing, in small bowl, use whisk to mix together dressing ingredients except water. Whisk in water slowly.
- Pour dressing over pasta salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate pasta salad for an hour (or more). Season as desired, then fill jars with pasta salad, if desired.
(Note: Pasta salad will keep refrigerated for up to three days. Perk it up with lemon juice after storing for a day.)