It’s hard to say goodbye to the grill—we know. With summer fading fast, why not have one last hurrah with an open-flame creation to celebrate all the sweetness you enjoyed this season? Peaches are a sturdy stone fruit that stand up well to heat, becoming tender and tasty with just a few minutes turning over hot coals. Tossed with a simple maple glaze and served with vegan cinnamon ice cream, they make a fresh, festive dessert that’s friendly for anyone’s diet. Pull up a patio chair and forget about fall…for now.
Maple-Glazed Grilled Peaches with Vegan Cinnamon Ice Cream
¼ cup water
3 Tbsp. maple syrup
Vegan Cinnamon Ice Cream
- In a medium-sized pot, whisk together coconut milk, non-dairy milk, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Cut vanilla bean in half and remove seeds. Add seeds and scraped-out pod to pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together arrowroot powder and 2 tablespoons of coconut mixture until powder is dissolved. Pour mixture into pot and whisk again.
- Over medium heat on the stove, bring mixture in pot to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- Pour mixture into container and refrigerate until cool. Follow ice cream maker’s instructions to make ice cream (may require 24 hours or longer to prepare).
- Preheat grill to medium heat (about 350 degrees F). (Note: Using real wood charcoal produces the best flavor, but a gas grill can be used also. Do not use instant-light briquettes—flavor will be impacted.)
- Halve peaches and remove pits. Brush each half with coconut or walnut oil.
- Grill peaches about 2 to 4 minutes per side.
- In a small pot, whisk together water and maple syrup. Bring mixture to a boil and let thicken (2-3 minutes).
- Remove pot from heat and, while still warm, toss syrup with grilled peaches. Let peaches cool completely before serving.
To serve, fill bowl with scoop of ice cream and grilled peaches (cooled).
If you’re hungry for more, download our sweet and healthy desserts recipe e-book.