Think sweet potatoes are always orange? Think again. With a similar, yet slightly more delicate flavor, purple yams – also known as Okinawan potatoes – are an ordinary-spuds substitute that surprise with more than their vibrant color. Packed with the same pigment found in blueberries and purple grapes, these brilliant-hued beauties are loaded with antioxidants, while also being fiber rich and fat free. Try them mashed with coconut oil and a sprinkling of hemp seeds for a side dish everyone will want you to serve again and again.
Purple Sweet Potato Mash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake sweet potatoes for about an hour, or until cooked tender.
- In large bowl, combine potatoes, coconut oil and avocado; mash until smooth.
- Stir in lemon juice and ground peppercorns.
- Top with toasted hemp seeds.