If I have anything to say about it, carrot and orange will become a combination as popular as peanut butter and jelly. I love luscious carrot cake with subtle hints of citrus, so these Orange-Zested Carrot Cupcakes celebrate that duo but are still simple enough for anyone to make. Sweet and silky Vanilla Maple Cashew Cream tops it off for a completely delicious and guilt-free vegan dessert.
Orange-Zested Carrot Cupcakes with Cashew Cream Icing
Makes 24 cupcakes
2 cups almond flour
1-1/2 cups coconut sugar
3 cups finely shredded carrots
2 tbsp orange zest
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup almond milk
3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 24-cup cupcake pan (or two 12-cup pans) with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix together almond milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In a different bowl, mix together all remaining ingredients except carrots. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and continue to mix until fully combined. Fold in carrots.
- Spoon batter into liners, filling about 2/3 of the way.
- Cook for 22-26 minutes, or until cooked through and the edges are golden.
Cashew Creme Icing Directions:
- Add soaked cashews, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla extract to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Spoon mixture onto each cupcake.
- Top with orange zest.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftover in an airtight container.