Not sure the difference between a cobbler, a crumble and a crisp? You’re not alone. The obvious common denominator is fruit. But there’s one other thing: they’re all a hot mess. Literally bubbling over with warm, gooey peaches, apples or cherries, these southern favorites fall apart the moment your fork dives in. If it matters, though, a crisp is the only one with an oat topping. To complicate things even more, this recipe turns a peach crisp into a protein bar. So what are you really eating? Something so good, it doesn’t matter.
Peach Jam Protein Bars
Makes 16 bars
Macros per bar: 101 calories | 5.2 g protein | 15.6 g carbs | 2.1 g fat | 8.4 g sugar | 1 g fiber
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 egg whites
2/3 cup gluten-free oat flour (or ground rolled oats)
2 scoops ARO Vanilla Whey Protein Complex PLUS
1 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 cups frozen peaches, thawed (or fresh, sliced peaches)
¼ cup Vitacost Certified Organic Coconut Sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
6 Tbsp. water
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. ARO Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
¼ cup gluten-free oat flour
¼ cup coconut sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 Tbsp. Vitacost Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat an 8” x 8” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together applesauce, vanilla and egg whites until smooth.
- To the bowl, add oat flour, protein powder, baking powder and salt and stir until mixture is well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish, using a spoon to smooth down. Bake 25-28 minutes. While this is baking, prepare jam layer.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add peaches, coconut sugar and lemon juice. Stir together and bring mixture to a slow simmer. Let simmer 8-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water. Add to saucepan and stir vigorously.
- Once mixed together, pour mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add protein powder and pulse until well combined. Set aside while you prepare topping.
- In a medium bowl, add all topping ingredients and stir until mixture becomes crumbly.
- Pour peach jam over baked base layer. Sprinkle crumble topping over jam and bake an additional 20-22 minutes.
- Let cool in fridge for at least 3 hours before cutting into 16 even squares.