Looking for a special way to celebrate Mom this Mother’s Day? Flowers, chocolates and lotions are perfectly acceptable, but this year, surprise the woman who kissed away your ailments and checked the closet for scary monsters something with more flair. This Pink Heart-Shaped Sushi is a unique way to show her you care. Beet juice gives a pink tint to rice that’s rolled into heart shapes for a festive meal that is almost too pretty to eat. Almost. One whiff of the spicy vegan mayo and Mom won’t be able to resist scarfing down this delicious roll.
Pink Heart-Shaped Sushi with Spicy Vegan Mayo
2 cups sushi rice
½ tsp. coconut sugar
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes, if desired
Sesame seeds, to top
2-4 Tbsp. beet juice or juice from pickled beets
½ Tbsp. rice vinegar
Veggies, thinly sliced (I used sweet potato, yellow bell peppers and purple carrots)
4 nori sheets
1 Tbsp. beet juice or juice from pickled beets
½ Tbsp. Sriracha, or your favorite hot sauce
4 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise (like Vegenaise)
- Cook rice according to package direction.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the Spicy Mayo by mixing together all ingredients. Let chill in fridge until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, combined cooked rice with coconut sugar, salt, rice vinegar and red pepper flakes if using. Slowly mix in beet juice until you’ve reached the color you desire. Let rice cool before proceeding.
- Wrap sushi rolling mat with plastic wrap or place inside of a plastic bag. (This prevents rice from sticking to the mat and makes it easier to clean.)
- Place a sheet of nori on the covered mat, with the shiny side facing down. Add a thin layer of rice to the first two-thirds of the sheet, leaving the last third uncovered.
- Add the veggie slices to the wrap. Use the rolling mat to slowly roll the nori. Note: I recommend watching tutorials if you’ve never done this before.
- Once the roll is set, you will mold it into a half-heart shape. Place the mat over the roll. Squeeze with your hands, pressing down with your palms and in with your fingers.
- Cut the rolls into 6 or 8 pieces, cutting off the edges if they’re messy.
- Put two of the pieces together and you’ll get a heart. Top with sesame seeds and serve with Spicy Pink Vegan Mayo.