You can call it summery. You can certainly call it light and fluffy. You may even call it your favorite dessert. But please, don’t call it short. The spongy yellow cake doused in strawberry sauce and topped with whipped cream does, actually, stack up to your standards. Strawberry shortcake has finally become the healthier treat you had always hoped it was. The trick is to swap out the heavy cream (hello, Greek yogurt) and the white flour (because almonds make a great flour). Overflowing with the natural sweetness of strawberries, this version never falls short of great!
Protein Strawberry Shortcake
1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat an 8” x 8” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together all shortcake ingredients until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake 25 – 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a medium bowl, microwave sliced strawberries until they soften and create a chunky sauce. Try microwaving in 30-second intervals until desired consistency.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all whipped topping ingredients to create a light-and-fluffy topping.
- Drizzle strawberry sauce over baked shortcake, slice into even squares and serve with a dollop of whipped “cream.”