Pies, muffins, cookies—when pumpkin fever hits, orange is the new everything and your kitchen couldn’t smell better. But don’t limit your love of this favorite fall veggie (technically a fruit) to sweets and treats. These savory burgers are a creative way to put pumpkin on your dinner plate. Serve with gluten-free tortillas for a diet-friendly dish, or shape small and set out with dipping sauce at your Halloween party!
Makes 6 burgers
½ cup organic pumpkin puree
½ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
½ cup wheat germ
1 tsp. raw honey
1 tsp. honey mustard
½ cup fat-free cottage or mozzarella cheese
½ cup orange or red peppers, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp. parsley, minced
2 Tbsp. basil, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. sea salt
6 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
6 8” gluten-free tortillas
- In a large skillet over low to medium heat, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Add onion and cook 5-8 minutes, until softened.
- Add peppers, garlic, cumin and sea salt and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl, letting cool for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, breadcrumbs, wheat germ, cheese, honey, honey mustard, parsley and basil. Mix well.
- Dampen hands and form patties, about ½” thick (using about ½ cup of mixture for each burger).
- In large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 teaspoons of oil. Cook patties until browned, about 4-6 minutes per side.
- Serve tucked in warmed tortillas or as desired.
Nutrition info: 331 calories, 12 grams protein, 45 grams carbs, 13 grams fat