The fun of shortbread is in making yours unique. Though plain shortbread is a delicacy all on its own, its versatility makes it a great basis for more bold culinary endeavors. In this shortbread recipe, we’ve focused on giving it crunch and making it good for you. We’ve added potato starch and banana starch because such resistant starches have been associated with promoting good health. Vegan protein powder and gluten-free flour also give this loaf nutritional goodness. As for crunch, we’ve thrown in few handfuls of delicious, nutrient-rich nuts. Crunch on!
1/2 cup extra virgin unrefined coconut oil OR 2 sticks vegan butter (like Miyoko’s)
4 chia-flax egg replacers
2 tsp. Lakanto Monk Fruit sweetener
1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend (like my Mac-n-Mo’s Morselicious Mix)
1/2 cup vanilla plant-based protein powder
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup green banana flour
1/2 cup roasted pistachios, crushed
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with coconut oil.
- In large bowl, stir coconut oil or butter, then stir chia-flax egg.
- Sift in the gluten-free flour, protein powder, potato starch and green banana flour. Stir in nuts.
- Spread onto baking sheet and bake approximately 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Slice into bars to serve.