Favorite childhood snacks are hard to forget, even if they don’t agree with your adult sensibilities. As far as your taste buds are concerned, your interest in chocolate-covered, marshmallow-coated squares hasn’t waned as you’ve gotten older. As a matter of fact, you would still enjoy such delicacies if they weren’t made with an abundance of sugar, artificial flavors and heavy processing. That’s why you’ll love this rice crispy treats recipe. You’ll notice the ingredients are vegan, gluten-free and better for you than the ones you had as a child. These treats will please your discerning adulthood diet and your inner child’s tastes—your own kids will love them, too!
6 cups gluten-free crispy rice cereal
4 cups gluten-free, vegan marshmallows
1-1/2 cup Hu Dark Chocolate Bar (about 1-1/2 bar)
1/2 cup SunButter Organic Sunflower Butter
1/2 cup Nutiva Coconut Oil with Buttery Flavor or ghee
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
- Line a 9×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil and marshmallows. Stir in sunflower butter, salt and vanilla until combined. Stir in cereal and coat well. Pour coated cereal into prepared baking pan.
- In a small pot over low heat, melt chocolate. Pour chocolate over rice cereal.
- Transfer baking pan to fridge to set.
- To serve, cut into 12 large squares. Top with additional sunflower butter, if desired.