Chilly weather calls for warming dinners – like this easy-to-make, hearty soup. It makes a delicious starter or accompaniment, or it can be a perfectly filling meal on its own. The herbs and spices take this soup from bland to grand, and the vegetables add extra personality and nutrients. Ladle yourself a bowl and snuggle in for a cozy night with a belly full of goodness.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
6 carrots, shredded
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups Simple Truth Organic Chicken Broth
3 tomatoes, cored/finely chopped
2 Tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. chili powder
5 cans (15 oz.) Simple Truth Organic Black Beans, drained but not rinsed
8 slices bacon (uncured smoked), finely chopped
Coarse salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, cubed
1 whole lime, juiced
- In large, heavy pot over medium heat, cook bacon until it starts to crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel-lined plate. Drain all but a teaspoon of grease from pot.
- In same pot, add onion and carrots.; stir until they begin to turn translucent. Add garlic and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, ketchup and chili powder. Stir in beans.
- Turn heat to med-high and bring to boil; cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Add cilantro and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add lime juice and top with avocado.