A slow cooker works wonders for busy families. The whole “set it and forget it” motto really never gets old. While you’re away, this handy kitchen appliance will continue to cook up a wholesome meal fit for your hungry loved ones.
For 6-8 hours, your slow cooker will soak chicken and grated onions in a rich, slightly spicy chipotle-maple sauce. When you come home, chop up your favorite greens and prep a few servings of farro or quinoa to make tasty grain bowls or lettuce wraps. Here’s to another dinner prepped in the A.M. and ready in the P.M. with minimal effort!
2 lbs. boneless chicken thighs
2 cloves garlic, fresh, minced
16 oz. chicken stock
7 oz. tomato paste
1/2 cup onion, grated
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. cumin, ground
1 tsp. chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper, ground
Optional: chopped red onion and cilantro to garnish
- Trim excess fat off chicken and set aside.
- In medium-size slow cooker, mix together onion, garlic, tomato paste, chicken stock, cumin, chipotle chili powder, salt, pepper, maple syrup and balsamic vinegar.
- Add chicken to sauce, spooning sauce to cover each piece.
- Place lid on slow cooker and set to low. Cook 6-8 hours, until chicken is cooked through.
- Using slotted spoon, remove chicken. Cool slightly.
- Using two forks, shred chicken breasts. Place shredded chicken back into sauce and stir to combine. (This is a good time to taste chicken and adjust seasonings as needed.) Note: if sauce is watery, turn heat to high and cook with cover off until sauce reduces slightly.
- Spoon chicken on top of your favorite grains and greens and garnish with red onion and cilantro. Enjoy it straight from the bowl or stuff it inside a large lettuce leaf.