Chicken wings are so 2014. Been there, done that. It’s time to create a new favorite that’s healthy, delicious and totally unique. Enter these vegan and gluten-free Spinach-Cauliflower “Wings.” Instead of regular flour, these wings are coated and roasted in a nutritious combination of spinach and gluten-free flour, with added flavor from garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and red pepper flakes. Topped with a Zesty Citrus Glaze, these baked florets are guaranteed to impress even the most ardent meat-lovers.
Spinach-Cauliflower “Wings” with Zesty Citrus Glaze
1 cup gluten-free flour
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
¼ tsp. salt
2 cups spinach
1 medium head cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 green onion
1-½ cups water
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Zesty Citrus Glaze
1 Tbsp. arrowroot starch
1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
Salt, to taste
1-¾ cups freshly squeezed orange juice
1 Tbsp. cold water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, paprika and salt.
- Blend water, greens, onion and apple cider vinegar in a blender on high until smooth. Add to dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Dip the florets into the batter with a slotted spoon, evenly coating each piece, and place them onto to the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 32-34 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the florets are dark green and crispy.
- While the cauliflower bakes, prepare the orange glaze. Bring orange juice to a boil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add in red pepper flakes.
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water and whisk until dissolved. Add mixture to the orange juice pot and stir until combined.
- Turn off the heat and let mixture thicken, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and lower temperature to 425 degrees F. Coat florets evenly with sauce and place back on baking sheet. Bake for another 6-8 minutes.