This season brings cleaner closets, brighter colors and better moods. While you’re freshening up your life, why not give your diet a mini-overhaul as well? Take a break from heavy soups, casseroles and crockpot creations, and toss a crisp, fresh salad to serve along with grilled fish or chicken for a satisfying spring meal. Roasted yellow beets, crunchy fennel and sweet blueberries fill your bowl with vibrant colors and textures, while a light, homemade vinaigrette dressing showers this healthy side dish with flavor.
Spring Salad With Blueberries & Fennel
2 roasted whole yellow beets
1 cup fennel, chopped into ½” pieces
4 cups organic Swiss chard, chopped
6 oz., fresh, organic blueberries, rinsed well
- Set oven to 425 degrees F. In roasting pan, roast yellow beets for 1 hour. (Note: No need to pre-heat oven; beets can be placed in oven immediately when it’s turned on.)
- In large bowl, combine fennel and Swiss chard.
- Remove beets from oven, allow to cool. Peel and slice beets into half-moon shape.
- Add blueberries and beets to bowl.
- To make dressing, whisk together ingredients. Pour over salad.
- Toss salad with dressing thoroughly and serve.
Nutrition info: 109 calories; 7 grams fat; 325 mg potassium; 12 grams carbs; 3 grams fiber; 5 grams sugars; 2 grams protein