Do you dream about the type of waffles you’ll make on the weekend (even if it’s only Monday afternoon)? We’re right there with you, and we’ve got inspiration for your next daydream right here. These homemade waffles are loaded with hemp, chia, coconut, flax and all your favorite superfoods, and they can be made vegan or not vegan with a simple ingredient tweak. Topped with rich coconut butter and a drizzle of chocolate hazelnut spread, this breakfast will beat that snooze button every time!
Superfood Waffles With Chocolate-Hazelnut Drizzle
Makes 2 Belgian waffles
1/4 cup raw coconut flour
1/2 cup sprouted spelt flour
1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
1 Tbsp. coconut sugar
1 tsp. chia seeds
2 Tbsp. whole oats
½ tsp. nutmeg
3 pinches pink Himalayan sea salt
Optional: 1 tsp. maca powder
*For non-vegan version, use one organic egg instead of flax egg and decrease almond milk by half. Mix in baking powder to dry ingredients and mix in coconut oil to batter before adding to waffle iron.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In large bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- To make flax egg, combine flax egg ingredients and whisk until fluffy.
- In another bowl, mix together all wet ingredients (including flax egg).
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients bowl and mix. (Note: Add additional almond milk to thin mixture if it’s too thick).
- Follow waffle iron manufacturer’s instructions to cook waffles (about 7-10 minutes).
- Top with coconut butter and chocolate hazelnut spread.