Some foods are tricky to get just right, like baked sweet potato fries. It doesn’t take an advanced culinary degree to figure out how to slice a spud and bake the strips for 20 minutes, but to maintain the perfect level of crispiness without over cooking—that takes practice. Whether you’re a pro or newbie, this recipe will help simplify the process. It’s a surefire method to create crispy, finger-licking-good fries. Bonus? Here’s a thick, creamy roasted onion dip, made with parsley, vegan mayonnaise and a bit of sriracha, to dunk those sweet strips into. Snack on!
Sweet Potato Fries with Roasted Onion & Herb Dip
Sweet Potato Fries
- Begin by making the dip. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut onion in half, then in ½ – 1-inch strips. Spread them out on baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the onions are dark brown. Careful not to burn them. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In a blender or food processor, combine onions with the rest of the dip ingredients. Process until desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer to an air-tight container. Refrigerate for at least 20-30 minutes, but overnight is best because it allows the flavors to blend together.
- To make the sweet potato fries, keep oven set to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut potatoes into ½-inch thick strips.
- In a large bowl with cold, salted water, soak potato strips for about 5-6 minutes. Drain water and place them on a towel to dry.
- In a separate bowl, combine dried potato strips with coconut oil and spices. Toss until fully coated.
- Place them on baking sheet, leaving a little space between each fry. Bake for 20-24 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes, until brown. Broil as needed to make crispy.
- If you want to make the fries crispier, toss them with a tablespoon of cornstarch or arrow root powder.
- For the onion dip, if you add a splash of ketchup or pickle juice, this becomes an awesome sauce for veggie burgers, sandwiches, wraps, salads and more!