Calling all chickpea lovers! We’re big fans of this lovely legume in my house, but that doesn’t mean we’re scooping our way through bowl after bowl of hummus each week. Although they’re perfect in everyone’s favorite creamy dip, chickpeas – also known as garbanzo beans – are tender yet firm, with a hearty texture that stands up well in salads. In this simple mix, chickpeas take center stage, and crisp veggies, flavorful herbs and a homemade lemon-infused dressing round out the recipe. Serve it tossed with brown rice couscous for a nutritious and filling meal.
Tangy Chickpea & Fennel Salad
Makes 6 servings
- Soak chickpeas overnight then drain soaking water. Cook chickpeas for 60-90 minutes or until cooked completely. Stir in sea salt.
- Cook brown rice cous cous according to package directions.
- Chop pickles, celery, and fennel (bulb only). Set aside in a bowl.
- Add 2 cups of cooked chickpeas to bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, and black pepper then pour over salad.
- Serve with brown rice couscous.
Nutrition info (per serving): 285 calories; 5 grams fat; 55 grams carbs; 8 grams fiber; 4 grams sugar; 8 grams protein