What’s the soup du jour? It’s the one that tastes good all year. A Thai-inspired bowl full of pumpkin, coconut and curry will convince you that soup does more than break the winter ice. This one has staying power, thanks to its easy-to-find ingredients and irresistible flavor combo. You get sweet and spicy melted into one creamy concoction. Prepare it piping hot or nicely chilled, so you can enjoy it for all 365 days.
Thai Coconut-Pumpkin Soup
½ onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can (15 oz.) organic pumpkin
1-1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
½ tsp. organic curry powder
Pinch of each: ground ginger, black pepper & ground red pepper
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté onions in olive oil until onions become translucent.
- In a pot over medium heat, add pumpkin, coconut milk and broth. Stir to combine.
- Add onions to pumpkin mixture and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings, stirring until well incorporated.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve with avocado and fresh basil, if desired.