New food trends tend to build on previous years’ trends, and 2017 trends are set to take 2016’s top picks to new levels. We’ve rounded up the best healthy gifts for the trendsetting foodies on your list so they’ll be ahead of the game in the new year!
Plant-based meat substitutes
Plant-based meat substitutes took the stage in 2016 when Impossible Foods launched an all plant-based “bleeding” burger. Now that everybody knows how delicious plant-based meat alternatives can be (hello, jackfruit!), they’ll be showing up in the fanciest chef’s kitchens. Help your foodie friends be hip and healthy with a gift of these delicious and easy to cook with meat substitutes:
- Korean BBQ Seitan: grind it up and mix it with jackfruit to create a juicy burger
- Homestyle Burger Mix: add diced mushrooms, onions, and peppers then shape into balls and bake to create delicious no-meat balls
Most people are familiar with black teas, but black will be a big trend in food color for 2017. This trend lends itself well to a healthy diet. Consider adding these to a gift basket for your favorite foodie:
- Black Bean Pastas: gluten-free and made with black beans, these pastas are as tasty as they are lovely. Serve with white sauce for yin-yang pasta night!
- Black Turtle Beans: perfect for adding to ramen bowls with a mix of colorful veggies.
- Black Bean Flakes: are great for the great outdoorsman (or woman) on your gift list. They are light and a great source of protein that can be added to nearly any dish.
Pretty foods grew in popularity in 2016, but the trend will move away from treats (like unicorn ice cream) and into healthy colorful foods, like these:
- Purple ube: is a yam tuber, similar to taro, that lends itself well to many uses, including baking purple cakes.
- Matcha green tea: is a bright, pretty, flavorful and antioxidant-packed beverage that can be enjoyed hot or iced.
- Decorative food colors: come in red, blue and yellow so you can make your food whatever color you like!
Seaweed isn’t just for sushi anymore. Put together a gift basket for the ocean lover in your life with these sea-worthy selections:
- Seaweed snacks: an assortment of these light, crispy, flavorful snacks is the perfect alternative to potato chips.
- Seaweed soap, seaweed body wash and seaweed shampoo: nourish skin from the outside-in.
Speaking of snacks, sardines are making a comeback in 2017. These once-forsaken tiny, briny fish are packed with protein to get you through the afternoon blues and they come in an assortment of sauces, all in convenient little tins. This is another must-have for the outdoorsy foodie on your list.
Goat is going to be in the big chefs’ kitchens next year. Get ahead of the trend with these goat proteins:
- Powdered goat milk: rich in vitamin D and folic acid, mix this powder with water for a flavorful addition to smoothies and cream-based recipes.
- Evaporated goat milk: can be whipped, added to coffee or in anything cream is called for.
We all know that one person who wants their food as spicy hot as possible. These items are sure to please—as stocking stuffers or bundled together:
- Haunted Ghost Pepper Chips: see if the gift recipient can eat the whole bag!
- Chocolate Ghost Pepper Punch Drunk Hot Sauce: put it on everything — because spicy/sweet is predicated to be the hottest trend in 2017.
- Gourmet Ghost Pepper Uncured Salami: because some like their salami hotter than hot.
Ramen bowls are giving way to everything bowls in 2017. This is a great way to make a quick, healthy meal or try new ingredients or recipes. The bowl concept is simple—toss in whatever you like with a little sauce or broth and eat with a spoon and fork. Many of the items on this gift list are perfect for creating delicious bowl meals. Here are a few additions to a great bowl gift basket: