There’s no such thing as a small batch of meatballs, mostly because these little nuggets make great party food. For your next shin-dig, serve these lightened-up meatballs in sauce, over noodles, with a creamy yogurt dip or completely commando. The fragrant Italian herbs in this recipe offer enough flavor to hold up in a big pot for several hours – and it’s not just the fresh parsley or dried oregano. An herb-infused olive oil is drizzled on top to lend moisture, depth and just a touch of Tuscany. With plates piled high, this could be the quietest get-together you’ve ever hosted.
Tuscan Herb & Feta Turkey Meatballs
Makes 8 servings
1 serving = 4 meatballs
Macros for 1 serving: 281 calories | 25.7 g protein | 8.4 g carbs | 13.8 g fat | 1 g fiber | 2.1 g sugar
2 lbs. lean ground turkey (93% fat-free)
¾ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
½ cup low-fat crumbled feta cheese
¼ cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 small onion, diced
2 Tbsp. Vitacost Sonoma Canyon Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 Tbsp. Flavor God Everything Seasoning
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground pepper
2 whole eggs (or 3 egg whites)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray (or use a non-stick baking sheet).
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients, except the ground turkey and olive oil, and stir until mixture is well combined.
- Add the ground turkey to the mixture and, using your hands, gently mix the ingredients until thoroughly incorporated.
- Take about 3 tablespoons (or use a small ice cream scoop) of meat mixture and roll into a 1½-inch ball. Repeat until 32-34 meatballs are made.
- Place meatballs on prepared baking sheet and drizzle with herb-infused olive oil.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Cooking tip: To make your own breadcrumbs, place whole wheat bread in a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Toast crumbs in the oven at 325 degrees F until crisp and golden brown.