You hate to mess with tradition. But when it comes to recipes packed with meat, vegans and healthy foodies must go against the grain. Whether you’re avoiding meat for ethical reasons or to keep your diet in check, you still deserve to cozy up with a big, warming bowl of chili this winter. Simply replace the beef with meat-free crumbles. You can still enjoy the comforting flavors and texture without having to compromise your goals.
Vegan Bean Chili with “Beef” Crumbles
15 oz. canned black beans
15 oz. canned kidney beans
22 oz. vegan “meat” crumbles (such as Beyond Meat)
1 large white onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
3 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
2 large tomatoes, diced
1-2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. thyme
Salt & pepper, to taste
15 oz. tomato sauce
4 oz. green chilies, diced
½ – 1 cup filtered water, plus more if necessary
1 Tbsp. olive oil
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sautee onion, bell pepper and garlic for 6-8 minutes.
- Add crumbles to the pot and cook for 5 minutes. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and chilies, and stir to combine.
- Add water, bay leaves, chili powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook covered over low heat for at least 1 hour (3-4 hours recommended), stirring every 15-20 minutes.
- In the last 30-45 minutes of cooking, add in beans.
- Remove bay leaves before serving, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with Jalapeño-Cheddar Cornbread Muffins.