With their robust, belly-filling flavors combined, black beans and oats make a delicious combination. Legume-topped oatmeal is not on the menu, but thanks to this vegan recipe, another comfort food favorite is. Whether you’re eating traditional pasta, long strands of zucchini noodles or gluten-free brown rice spaghetti, pile on these savory black bean meatballs. They’re packed with plant-based protein and wholesome, nutritional goodness.
Vegan Black Bean & Oat “Meatballs”
Makes about 18 “meat” balls
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup oat flour
1-½ cups cooked black beans
1-½ Tbsp. flax meal
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1-½ tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. paprika
Salt & pepper, to taste
Breadcrumbs, to coat
Water, as needed to blend
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a food processor, pulse rolled oats and flax seeds until mostly ground but still chunky. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In the food processor, pulse black beans until smooth. Add to mixing bowl.
- Add oat flour, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, paprika and salt and pepper to mixing bowl. Mix until fully incorporated. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Pour breadcrumbs on to a shallow dish. Scoop out 1-inch balls from bean mixture and roll into breadcrumbs to coat. Transfer coated balls to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight and refrigerated container for 4-5 days.
- The oat flour can be swapped with 1 cup of garbanzo or rice flour.
- For a quicker method, prep oat-bean mixture ahead of time and freeze until ready to eat. To reheat after being frozen, bake at 425 degrees F for 26-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- These balls can be fried instead of baked. Fry them over medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until dark golden brown.