Perfect for your next summer picnic, this refreshing salad features bright colors and Mediterranean flavors. But you’ll mostly love the homemade creamy dill dressing that coats each bite (if you don’t have dill, you can use any herb to make this dairy-free dressing!). Simply pour it over fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas and arugula. Chef’s tip: If you’re not a fan of green-colored dressings, peel the zucchinis before blending for a more familiar hue.
1 cup chickpeas, cooked*
1/2 medium sweet or purple onion
4 Persian cucumbers
2 cups arugula
60 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped, stems removed
4 Tbsp. raw tahini
2 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon, juiced)
1 Tbsp. capers, in salt
1/4 cup filtered water
2 cups zucchini, roughly chopped (about 1 zucchini)
Salt, to taste
1. Chop onion, cucumbers and tomatoes.
2. In bowl, add arugula, chopped vegetables and chickpeas. Set aside.
3. In high-speed blender, combine tahini, lemon juice, capers, water and zucchini. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste test, and add salt if necessary.
4. Add dill (or desired herb) and blend on very low simply to incorporate.
5. Pour over chopped vegetables and serve.
*To cook chickpeas: Soak chickpeas overnight in filtered water. Drain water, and rinse really well. Add chickpeas to a pot of boiling water, and cook until soft (45 minutes to 1 hour).