If you’ve invested in an Instant Pot, this recipe is for you. If you haven’t, this tasty soup will certainly make you want to. This multi-purpose cooker is a steamer, yogurt maker, sauté pan, rice cooker and pressure cooker all in one. Kiss kitchen clutter goodbye!
As for the recipe, fresh asparagus, zesty lemon and dried mint flakes combine to create a sunshine-colored soup perfect for any season. YUM!
1 tsp. olive oil
1 small white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
12 oz. trimmed asparagus
2 to 2-1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
1/4 tsp. dried mint flakes
1/4 tsp. lemon zest
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. nutritional yeast
salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut trimmed asparagus into small pieces and set aside. (Set aside a few asparagus ends for garnishing, if desired.)
- Press the sauce button on your Instant Pot. Once it says hot, add oil to the pot followed by onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until onions and garlic begin to caramelize.
- Add cut asparagus, dried mint flakes, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add vegetable stock or water and stir. Cover Instant Pot with lid. Set valve to “sealing” and cancel “sauté” mode. Select “manual” mode and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. When finished, wait for 2-3 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Open lid, use immersion blender to puree the soup (or use regular blender). Add lemon juice, nutritional yeast and stir. Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Sprinkle more lemon zest on top, garnish with asparagus ends and serve soup immediately!
Cooking tip: If you want to garnish the soup with asparagus tips, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Place reserved asparagus tips into the pot for few minutes until tender. Immediately remove from pot and place tips in ice cold water to refresh and then use to garnish.